Get Alerted When I Post with Google Reader!

Cross Promotion!

Scott has been my partner-in-crime for traveling. You will find complementary info on his blog, youtube channel, and especially, photo album.

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Paan

We have a now-written tradition that all the expats have to try paan during their first meal out with the group. Being my going away dinner, I made sure that the newest group partook in this conical shaped dessert of filling wrapped in betel nut leaves.

It is actually an acquired taste that has grown on me and is quite refreshing to the mouth and stomach after a meal. There are basically 2 kinds - sweet or bitter - and all the fruits and spices they use vacillate to either of those tastes. Most kids grow up craving the sweet stuff and the adults buzz around on the bitter which is made from more betels and has a tobacco-like effect; both of which can be picked up at stands on the side of the street.

A brave soul dared to break the chain and abstain while the rest of his peers choked down the digestifs and the vets looked on. The whole table played good cop, bad cop to coax him to no avail.

The next day, being my last day in the office, I became easily sidetracked and picked up dozens of paan and decorated his desk while he was at lunch (and treated my co-workers to a paan party). He returned and was floored. Knowing he was licked, he gave in. Here is my first attempt at photo journalism:












1 comment:

Cornelius said...

That doesn't look kfp