Get Alerted When I Post with Google Reader!

Cross Promotion!

Scott has been my partner-in-crime for traveling. You will find complementary info on his blog, youtube channel, and especially, photo album.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Delhi

Lulu’s arrival and week long holiday together was my home stretch before re-immersion. I arrived a day earlier than her and had a whirlwind tour of Delhi with a hired car. To clear up any confusion, Old Delhi and New Delhi are in the same city but are different train stations. As with many old cities, it was built in stages under different rulers and has a layered feel to it.

I started in the old city and checked out the Red Fort and Jama Masjid Mosque, the largest in India. Soldiers were convinced that this fort was still some type of strong hold and were stationed in random areas with big guns, seemed like a joke and big waste. Hanuman’s Tomb would be amazing if it was not in the same state as the Taj Mahal.

Moving on, the India Gate, president’s house, and parliament had the look and feel of Capitol Hill in DC and all stood in line. The green around the Gate was swamped with locals picnicking and there was a great vibe going. In contrast to the States, there were tons of mostly naked kids playing in the equivalent of the reflecting pool. As always, Indians seem to make the most of any urban green areas they can find.

Coincidentally, it was Easter Sunday, and I stumbled upon Lodi Gardens to find a reveling celebration. These spontaneous gatherings seem less common in the States. Big crowds generally make me uneasy but there was no drinking and everyone was in line.



Judah Hyan Hall Synagogue – While I had the address, it was tough to find hidden behind a cement gate. There is a larger congregation in Delhi because of the cosmopolitan composition of the capital and is bolstered by many embassies. I surprised the temple secretary who lives on the grounds when I arrived unannounced. More interesting was how the Indian groundskeeper and his large family lived inside the adjacent Jewish cemetery.

Lotus Temple – I found this Bahai structure and concept particularly inviting. While they do conduct services and have their own doctrines, the institution promotes interfaith gathering and prayer. Entrants looked like a bee line queuing for the hive. Once barefoot and inside, silent observation (and a cool respite) calmed the once-buzzing mass. It was quite relaxing, and I felt part of the eclectic group. I relish my Jewish identity and heritage, but I despise religious institutions when they put up walls and instill divisive behavior.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous you saw the Baha'i Lotus temple - I would love to see it one day :)

Sonia said...

I found your blog through a google search for the Delhi synagogue. I'm going to be in Delhi over pesach. Do you know if they have an email address or website?

thanks,
Sonia
awandering@gmail.com

David.fr said...

Hi,
I unsuccessfully tried to find the synagogue in Delhi. Would you have any more details about the location and/or ways to contact the place ?

bonpiedbonoeil -at- ymail -dot- com